Friday, June 3, 2011

Let Me Eat Cake!

It’s nice to live with someone who’s attractive and also knows their way around a kitchen.  Combine that with all the fresh raspberries from the garden and guess what you get? 

You get this Raspberry coffee cake. 

I bring up the attractive part because – first I’m pretty shallow that way, and secondly since we’re over forty we both are always battling those few extra pounds.  C looks like one of the better looking Baldwin brothers so, people are quicker to dismiss his ‘few extra pounds’.  Since I look like no one in particular, I have to work harder.  I know he’s sick of hearing “I can’t eat that.  It’ll make me fat”, so he really went out on a limb making a cake.  Mix that with the fact that I don’t really like berries or anything with little annoying seeds and he really went out on a limb.  But, if a group of pillaging thugs were to hold me down and force me to eat a berry of my choice I’d pick raspberries. 

The raspberry bushes have been in the garden for a few years now and have never produced more than a berry or two.  I decided last year they needed to be moved, so I dug the damn things up and moved them…again.  I guess it worked.  We’ve had plenty of raspberries this year.



Oh…last Sunday, C made raspberry margaritas.  I drank those before I could snap a pic so you’ll just have to settle for this cake instead!

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup of sugar
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 egg
½ cup non-fat plain yogurt
2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup fresh raspberries


Glaze:
¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
¾ teaspoon lemon juice

Directions:
1.      In a bowl, combine the flour sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2.      Combine the egg, yogurt, butter, and vanilla; add to dry ingredients just until moistened.
3.      Spoon two-thirds of the batter into an 8 inch round pie pan coated with non-stick cooking spray.
4.      Combine the brown sugar and raspberries; sprinkle over batter.
5.      Spoon the remaining batter over the top.
6.      Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched and is golden brown.
7.      Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
8.      In a small bowl, combine the glaze ingredients.
9.      Drizzle over the coffee cake.
10. Serve warm or at room temperature.

The original recipe says the cake is around 187 calories per serving and only 38 calories from fat.  Of course C doctored the recipe.  He replaced milk and vanilla in the glaze with lemon juice.  Also, he used non-fat yogurt and the original recipe used low fat.  In theory the adapted recipe should be even less in calories.  And you know what.  It taste pretty damn good.




4 comments:

  1. So, is this an invitation? My partner is particularly partial to raspberries - strawberries are my thing - and he loves cake. I hesitate to ask given the time of year and the scorn in which it is held, but, do you like fruit cake? We're a fruit-cake loving family and for the same reasons as you I don't eat it much but he can get through two ten-inch versions a year, plus gingerbread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!!! looks delish! And a partner who cooks?! Lucky you! Sweet Dan makes coffee and brings that to me in the morning (lucky me;), but that is the extent of his culinary talents:)
    happy weekend!
    joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. fruit sucks. mostly.

    but when you add cake around it, it becomes magical and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a gorgeous summertime dessert! Love it!
    xo E + J

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...