Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Display Beds

Not my house...but I like it!
One night sometime last year I drank too much wine and decided the bed in our guest room would be grand if placed in the middle of the room. Living in an old house means we have the luxury of decent size rooms.  The bed in my bedroom is not the type bed that works tossed in the middle of a room.  But I have a great sleigh bed in the guest bedroom.  Normally my skirt’s not all blown up by a sleigh bed, but this one is a very classic shape and it makes me think Marc Anthony & Cleopatra would have done the nasty there. 

It’s a pain in the ass to move since it has to be taken a part.  But, with C’s help into the center of the room it went. 

That was last fall, since then everyone who’s been here to visit hasn’t liked it.  They've not come right out and said it, but I can tell.  It’s cold and uncomfortable.  I think it made people feel like they were on display or laid up in some type primitive alter. 

I’ve learned that it’s not that the bed doesn’t work in the center of the room; it’s just that everything else in the room is the problem.  I’ve moved every piece of furniture in the room to accommodate the center bed placement, but it always feels awkward.  For a bed to work in the center of a room, the room is best left with as few other pieces as possible.  Although I love that idea, I’m just not capable of going that sparse.  Besides, I have no place to put all the stuff I would be removing from the room. 

Before this past July 4th, one evening I popped open a second bottle of pinot grigio and drug C upstairs to help me move the bed out of the center of the room. 

My 4th of July guest was happy and the room feels more comfortable. 

Then today I found these photos and thought how much I like these bedrooms. But, I’m just going to admire them.  The bed in my guest room is staying right where it is…for the time being anyway! 

Photo credit Alexandre Bailmache

photo credit Josh McHugh

photo credit Josh McHugh

photo credit Mark Luscombe-Whyte

photo credit Pieter Estersohn

photo credit Roger Davies

photo credit Simon Upton


photo credit Simon Upton
                                     
photo credit William Waldron

photo credit William Waldron

5 comments:

  1. Damn you. You got me thinkin'.

    And we want to see the room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and i want to come to your parties........

    open another pinot and do a thomas jefferson, splendid idea!
    debra

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the bed in the middle of the room look, but agree it's way hard to pull off. Good for you for going there. And knowing when to turn back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bed pictured in Stephen Sills' house shot by Whyte was once famously owned (and shot by bruce weber) by the recently deceased Cy Twombly also the owner of the very famous bed in your first photo.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...