Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sunflower Envy

Over the 4th of July holiday a friend of mine commented on a vase of sunflowers I had strategically placed on the kitchen island. "Those are the most perfect sunflowers I've ever seen", she said.  She knew they had been cut from our garden.  She's visited enough to understand that if I wanted fresh sunflowers in the house, I'd have to drive in to Atlanta to get them!  Hooterville doesn't have a wide range of options when it comes to securing  cut flowers!  Besides, my friend took a tour of the vegetable garden when she arrived and had seen the many sunflowers in bloom.

There are several varieties, including ones that just showed up on their own...

And even an acid version! 

So I was feeling pretty good about my sunflowers this year...

until...

A mile or so from our house is a huge peach farm.  There's hundreds of acres of assorted sized peach trees.  Not long ago, I noticed a section of one of the peach fields had been plowed.  Soon after I noticed some type crop began to emerge.  I assumed it was okra or soy beans, because...well this is Hooterville and other than peaches...its okra or soy beans...


So, I was totally shocked when last week I drove by and the field had busted open in sunflower blooms! What you can't tell is the sunflowers border a long dirt drive back to a small cabin on a lake. I assumed the sunflowers where planted as a cash crop and not to create aesthetic impact...because...well this is Hooterville and people don't do aesthetic shit here... Except for us!

...but it would be nice to think so!

1 comment:

  1. Good grief! Can you link to a Google map so we might find it. Wow.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...