Saturday, August 13, 2011

Modern Heat

Last week I was in Los Angeles on business and took advantage of the trip to stop over a night in Dallas.  I wanted to visit with some very good New York friends who just moved to Texas. 

I’m sorry but, I’m just not a big fan of Texas.  I know I probably shouldn’t say that, because it’s not like Georgia is some kind of paradise by any stretch of the imagination!  But, I just don’t have much in common with Texas. 

I’m not a cowboy, even though I wouldn’t mind having a pair of ass kicking boots.  Tex Mex is OK, but I don’t crave it.  Not to mention on the day I was there the temperature was a mere 110 degrees!  I mean really.  I’m sorry for all the Texans.  No one should have to live in that kind of environment.  It was Serengeti hot; the kind of heat that melts the skin off your face! Everything is brown! 

My friend G told me that in some restaurants they ask if you want the smoking or non-smoking section!  God help them if someone drops a lit cigarette, the whole state is going to go up like a pile of dried leaves. 

G and I had a very nice civilized lunch in the cool blue Zodiac Room at Neiman Marcus.  On previous trips to Dallas, I’ve always wanted to go the Nasher Sculpture Center but have never had the time.  So, I took advantage of a couple of hours before G got off work and headed to the Nasher.  If you get to Dallas, you must visit the Nasher.  But, I’d wait until it’s a tad cooler – and after some rain!

I believe this is the only water left in Dallas...

Both let the green grass fool you...Texas is brown...

All the landscaping is as sculptural as the art...



If you through a chicken at this huge iron sculpture,
it would roast before it hit the ground!

These people had dried up to mere skin and bones...


A view from one of the galleries...

This is one of my favorite pieces...a photo can not do it justice...


Rodan...

Koons...

One the lower level are some temporary exhibits...
This rooms was filled with oversize balloons...

You are allow to enter and move around in the exhibit...

You are completely surrounded...

Regardless of where you move, look or turn the view and experience is the same...

It was rather fantastic...

I do have to  admit that I didn't quite get the plywood piece...
I thought the museum was under renovation at first...
Guess I should work on my culture level...


1 comment:

  1. The first one I would guess is a Henry Moore. The second one, the Richard Serra, can you walk through to two iron plates? That would be an interesting experience. Giacometti, Rodin...this is an amazing collection...for Texas.

    I've been to Texas twice. San Antonio and Houston. It's almost like another country. It's definitely not the northeast.

    I can't imagine that heat...and for long. I actually said to a friend when we were watching the news one evening, I would rather shovel snow all winter. But I still reserve the right to complain about it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...